Every year on December 3, people around the world take part in International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD). It is a day to celebrate the contributions and achievements of people with disability and promote awareness, understanding and acceptance in the community.
The United Nations theme for IDPwD 2023 is ‘United in action to rescue and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for, with and by persons with disabilities.’
In Australia, IDPwD is a joint effort between government, schools, organisations, community groups, businesses and individuals.
uLaunch and IDPwD
As part of supporting this important day we are celebrating our participants by sharing some of their journeys with you throughout the week.
We are also hosting events across the country with our staff, supporters and participants to celebrate their achievements and success as well as promote inclusive practices in workplaces.
There are many ways you can get involved in International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD).
- Hold or attend an event on, or around, 3 December.
- Join or start a conversation in your community to promote awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability.
- Read, watch and listen to the stories and experiences of people with disability to challenge your attitudes and assumptions.
- Take action in your community to remove barriers and improve accessibility for people with disability.
- Help spread the word and share your messages of support for #IDPwD online.
Hear from uLaunch participants with lived experience of disability
International Day of People with Disability is an opportunity to listen to the experiences of people with disability, reflect on our attitudes and behaviours, and shift the conversation around disability.
uLaunch has kicked off a 12 month program where trainees have the opportunity to be accredited a Cert IV in Employment Services while doing on-the-job training. Read more